Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Safety Not Sorrow

The New Testament church had these same problems.  Jesus knew what was in people's hearts.  We "watch and pray" as we live our lives. 

Protect by Example
by Doug Harvey

In June I visited a church in Canada. It used to be no big deal to cross the border, but these days it gets complicated. Where once a drivers license was all the ID needed, now I've got to bring my passport. Then I've got to call my credit card company, or they will "protect" me by refusing to accept charges from out of the country. It all seems so silly. I know I'm me, I know its my credit card, I know I'm an American citizen. So why do I have to keep proving these obvious truths?
 
I have to do all these things to prevent abuse by people who use the system to harm people. I have to prove my citizenship as part of a system to prevent foreign-born terrorists from infiltrating the country. I have to alert the credit card company to help prevent unauthorized use of my credit card number from beyond the borders. In order to benefit from these protections, we all have to participate in the screenings.
 
Another obtrusive and irritating hoop church leaders need to jump through these days is background screening and training in the prevention of sexual misconduct. Nobody likes to have to go through these things. It feels a bit like the presumption of guilt, and we balk at anything that seems to imply that we aren't to be trusted.
The problem is that sexual predators usually hide their pasts very effectively, and without some process of screening, they easily appear to be perfectly trustworthy.
 
Every church needs to insist on background checks and some form of training in abuse prevention for anyone who works with youth, children or the church's money. To make this point clearly, leaders need to willingly take the lead and set the example in these things. Instead of just insisting on checks and training for youth and children's workers, begin by doing the checks and training yourselves. Show that it isn't a witch hunt, but just good policy to protect the church, and that you aren't asking anyone to do something you won't do yourself.
 
In smaller churches it is especially tempting to bypass these things because we all know one another. It seems to imply suspicion, and nobody wants to feel they are under the microscope. But one incident can open your church to legal liabilities beyond imagination. If you haven't exercised some due diligence in prevention, the courts aren't going to ask you if you know and trust a violator, they are going to ask why you did not do routine screenings in a world where abuse is so common.
Your church's insurance company will have sample policies and resources for protecting the vulnerable in your congregation.
Elders and pastors, take the lead. Establish clear policies about background checks and training of workers, then put yourselves through the process first.
 
I'm taking my passport to Canada even though I know full well there is no reason to doubt my citizenship. I'm calling my credit card company even though I know full well I am not an identity thief or a credit abuser. When DHF began asking for a background check for people joining our pastor's association, I was the first one through the process.
 
Protect your flock. Lead by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment